Cameron Leigh

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I'm not prejudice; I just don't like you

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing good. I have had one of those interesting weekends. You know the kind where you need a couple of days off after your weekend. I wish once again I could say that I was out partying and living "la vida loca", but that is so far from the truth. I went home for a wedding, and I outed one of my friends. All I can say is oops I did it again.

I went home to the farm this past weekend, because I have been feeling guilty that I haven't been home since Thanksgiving. My main reason for going home was to see my friend my Mary-Ann get married. Don't worry this wedding was nothing like last years "Purple Haze" wedding. I was seated at the proverbial single peoples table and sitting across from me was this guy who looked familiar but I wasn't so sure. I couldn't help stare at him during dinner and finally I asked him if we knew each other. He replied that we did and I asked him his name. You know no harm, no foul at least I thought so. I was wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Let me tell you what he said to me: "now you want to know my name." Ah yes, because I am driving myself crazy trying to remember your name. He then proceeds to tell me how we know each other. We went to high school together. Lets stop here for a moment; do you know how long it has been since I have been in high school? I am approaching my fifteen year reunion. How could I have possibly remembered his named? Alright, back to my story so we went to high school together...great that still doesn't answer my question of who you are. He tells me that he had a major crush on me and I didn't go out with him. I found that to be funny, because if you had seen me when I was in high school there is no way anybody would have had a crush on me. He told me that he liked my nerdy, bookish look but I never gave him the time of day and then he says it...because he was black. Yes, he said that I never went out with him because he was black. I just laughed, I think that is the funniest thing I have heard all year long. And then it hit me, I remembered his named....Calvin. Now, I am not going to tell you all the mean things Calvin did to me in high school because I am older now and I have had a lot of therapy to put it behind me. But I will tell you what I said to him. I simply smiled at him and said I am not prejudice I just did not like you. I wouldn't have gone out with him if Christ himself said to me go out with Calvin or go to hell; I would have had to pick hell.

As for me outing my friend let me tell you how that happened. I was sitting at home and my mother was talking to me about my circle of friends who are now married. You know how mothers get. I was doing my best to ignore her, but it was unsuccessful. Let me stop here; because my mother could really care less if I am married or not she just wants to plan a wedding to show off to her friends. She is going down this list of people we know and I am telling her that they are divorced, on the verge of divorce, or having an affair. Then she gets to my friend Liz and I blurt out Liz can't get married she is gay. You would have thought I shot the Pope, the silence was creepy. I quickly back tracked and said I don't know if she is gay or not I am assuming she is gay because she is not married. My mother responds with I guess that is what people say about you. Now you see where I get from.

Hugs & Kisses,
Cameron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home