Cameron Leigh

Monday, June 04, 2007

Sex and the Single Girl

Hello All,

First let me say "Thank You," for all the warm wishes I received on my birthday. To para phrase Sally Field you really like me. I had a wonderful birthday I spent it with family and friends and loved ones. I didn't even mind the fact that I am getting older. As a matter of fact I proud about getting older. I used to have serious hang ups about getting older, but with age came this confidence that I never had before. I became more self assured, my looks didn't matter as much to me, I started to speak differently. All of those things started to happen to me as I got older. Which leads me to today's topic of discussion: Sex and the Single Girl.

This was a book published in the early sixties (before my time) by the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan Magazine, Helen Gurley Brown. The book basically encourages women to actively pursue a full single life, which includes acquiring a career, gaining financial independence and accepting ones looks. All good things to say to young impressionable women. Which is why I am puzzled by an article I read in the New York Times. Now I am not sure what the author was trying to achieve with his commentary, but it left me a little upset to say the least. The author in my opinion was suggesting that women have gotten more promiscuous over the years. In the age of Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears young women have opted out of traditional relationships and one night stands have become the norm. Young ladies do not want a car for graduation but instead want a boob job. As I have mentioned I am not sure about the point the author was trying to make so I will make it for him. I mean it is my blog and I can do whatever I want to.

The point is this: if young ladies attitudes have changed in regards to relationships maybe we should look at the big picture. We should exam society for making Paris Hilton and Britney Spears role models, musicians who use women as objects, props in their videos and lets us not forget the key factor in all of this...MEN. I am still waiting to meet a man who puts intelligence first before beauty when describing his ideal woman. With all the pressure young women have today is it no surprise that one night stands are on the rise.

Now I am sure some of you are going to read this and think I am some type of fem-a-Nazi, but I am not. I just believe in kissing a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

Hugs & Kisses,
Cam

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I agree with everything you said. It has come to the point that most young women think that they need to have that easy hoochie look & attitude in order to be desired. Television, music, magazines and almost every place you look there is something showing you what the women of this day should look and act like. After all, Girls Gone Wild is a normal thing for any young woman in fact it's looked at as an honor, almost like becoming a Playboy model or something but without the class & glamour. It's crazy when I go to a movie on a Friday or Saturday night and see girls that are in there early to mid teens dressed in clothes that would make an LA street walker blush. What is even worse is that the parents are turning their cheek to all of this. In the eyes of the young generation, sex is the number one thing in attraction. If a young woman is not flashing it around like the rest she is being ignored. It's the image that is placed out there. Sex & skin is the image for women these days and if a young man is not looking & acting like a hip hop thug then he is not in today's style as well. I can't remember the last time I saw some kid wearing pants that covered his ass.

Now I like a pretty face as much as anybody else, but if that pretty face can't speak properly what's the use. I would rather spend my time with someone that I can talk with and will challenge me with their wits. I will never claim to know everything and to find someone that can share some of their knowledge is well worth my time. I'm friends with a lot of young beautiful ladies and trying to talk with some of them is like talking to a tree stump. Maybe it's the age difference but it seems like everything these days is twisted around MySpace, reality tv or Hip Hop videos and that's the mentality that is setting in. I know all of our parents went through the same thoughts with us when we were young so maybe there is hope for this younger generation, but then again maybe not.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home